PDA

View Full Version : attaching a gun boot to Polaris

billsc4
10-18-2008, 01:19 PM
I just bought a new sportsman and would like to use it to do a bit of hunting. I currently have my gun strapped to the back rack but I find this ok but when hunting birds (grouse) it is awful slow to stop the bike and get gun out and loaded ......birds are usually gone. IS there anyone out there with a better solution??

fullSAGD
10-18-2008, 03:03 PM
i built an aluminum case for the front that holds my rifle and some beer...i mean gear. the big lid flips up and i epoxyed foam to the surfaces so it holds the gun in place. i have put my 300, the ladys 270 and a 17HMR in there on a few occasions with the right juggling. the small container hold knives, bullets, full size binos etc and is foamed to protect everything. the whole unit is actually quite light and swings up to access the fuses underneath. all the lids are latched and weather-sealed 3M style.
lot's of work but by far the best solution if you care about your gear. i had a gun boot and hated it. it was in the way and tough to get at if need be.
i built one for my yammy and it wouldn't fit the bomb so every one will be a one-off so as to stay on the rack and between the lines of the quad.
here's a few pics; not all that good, but i don't seem to have any more right now.
http://www.atvcanada.ca/photopost/data/500/12.jpg

http://www.atvcanada.ca/photopost/data/500/22.jpg

polar_rod
10-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Looks like a nice job on the box. MIG or TIG? About where to mount the drinkholder it should always go on the right side that way you Must let go of the gas before taking a sip (safety first) I make mine from 3in ABS pipe coupler mounted on alum plate stick in a foam cozy and it happens to fit a beer bottle I mean water bottle perfect If I can find a better way to post pics on here I could show you (tried photo bucket real slow)

kawimudslinger
10-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Hey guys this discussion about beer is extremely unappropriate and hurts my feelings. I just MIGHT report this to a moderator. Drinking beer while driving is not safe, especially for SAGD who does not wear a helmet. Why can't you act more like the other users on this site who prefer to stay home on weekends and drink soda and play board games, and report bad posts to moderators because they have sensitive feelings.

P.s. Nice box fullSAGD...i bet you could could make some pretty good cash selling those!

truckyfriend
10-18-2008, 06:57 PM
nice job on the aluminum case fullsagd...looks real nice on the front of your bike also...(and doesn't look like its heavy for her, a real plus)...I have a Kolpin gun boot and camo IV...don't really like it mounted like it does on the bike...but its only temporary I guess...thinking about getting a gun rack for the front instead...

fullSAGD
10-19-2008, 07:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: polar_rod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a nice job on the box. MIG or TIG? About where to mount the drinkholder it should always go on the right side that way you Must let go of the gas before taking a sip (safety first) </div></div>

thanks, mig for the forming then tig when i had it all set. i can't say i did all the tigging myself. i am a bit shakey from the meth so i had a guy in the shop back home finish most of the external welds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kawimudslinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Drinking beer while driving is not safe, especially for SAGD who does not wear a helmet. Why can't you act more like the other users on this site who prefer to stay home on weekends and drink soda and play board games, and report bad posts to moderators because they have sensitive feelings.

P.s. Nice box fullSAGD...i bet you could could make some pretty good cash selling those! </div></div>

i don't drink when driving, i'll have the odd one when stopped on the trail waiting for the popo guys to run their winch line, but when i get to where i'm going that's a different story...now if i were to wear a beer dispensing helmet, i'm sure it would make the pro-bucket nazis happy even if i was snot hanging drunk.
i thought about making a few jigs and trying to sell a few. the problem is that it takes so much time in the forming and fitting process (unique to each quad and rifle) that i would have to charge $1500+ for it to be worth the time, even if i had it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: truckyfriend</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice job on the aluminum case fullsagd...looks real nice on the front of your bike also...(and doesn't look like its heavy for her, a real plus).</div></div>
thanks